Saturday, November 7, 2009

Barn Raisin'!




We realized this summer that we were going to "out grow" our barn this year. YHVH willing, we will have 16 little lambs this coming spring, which will have to be housed in a barn in a separate pen with their mama for several weeks. Well-l-l-llll, we have a horse stall and a stall for the adult sheep, but the rest of the barn is packed with hay & lawn equipment & tools. We were going to have a little problem next spring if we didn't do something now.

I put pen to paper, did some research online, made some phone calls, and came to the conclusion that our best bet would be to put up a three-sided metal pole barn for hay and tools, leaving the old barn (which has electricity) for animals only. And I also figured out that we could build it cheaper ourselves rather than have it built. No problem. I looked over my old barn. Piece of cake.

On my last backpacking trip, some friends (who know me really well) made me buy a t-shirt that says, "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation", with a picture of a guy flying through the sky from one cliff to another.

Well, the leap was made last summer and we bought some posts, laid out the barn, and began building. And now I'm about halfway done and I'm beginning to fully grasp the situation. And all I can say is, "Praise YHVH for great friends!"


On November 1st, friends and family arrived early in the morning to help me put the rafters up and place the purlins across the tops of the rafters. In the first photo, you see a couple in the foreground who I've been helping as they build their home close by. The gentleman highest up is also helping them. Michael, on the ladder, is an old, ever helpful, friend. My neighbor (in camo) and his brother-in-law are also helping place rafter #1. My daughter, Alyssa, is in plaid in the background.
Four rafters are up in the second photo!














Amos, a good man who we fellowship with, had the only "power drill" that didn't run out of juice (see it hanging on his belt above & being used below).
Michael is telling Nitsan, "Hey! It's good enough for a barn!"
Alyssa said after it was all over, "It sure is fun to work with people you love!"





Well, I have to say, we had entirely too much fun! And still managed to eat two snacks and lunch that Sara, my daughter, made for all of us... PLUS, big bonus, we actually got all the rafters & purlins on!




As the sun sets, the last purlins are placed. A great day! Thanks to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment